Web design is about adding life to the website. It includes the color scheme, fonts, layout, graphics, images, videos, etc. The web designer plays a significant role in creating a website. Other than the content, the web designing is an essential aspect of website construction. Web designers build websites using HTML which is for the content and metadata of each page. The layout is defined by using CSS. These two are the best and the most commonly used combination for creating a website.
Tactics of Web Designing for increasing Conversion Rates:
Hick’s Law: According to the British psychologist William Edmund Hick, the number of choices is directly proportional to the time spent in making a choice. Hence, it is suggested that the navigation bar should have less options so that the visitor stays on the webpage for long and is able to thoroughly gauge the options before making a sure choice.
The Rule of Thirds: It is a popular visual technique, mostly used for photography but is extremely helpful while designing a web page. In this technique you divide a visual or a website into thirds, both vertically and horizontally, which gives you a total of equal nine squares. According to the rule of thirds, the four intersections made in the middle of the boxes are the points of interest for a user, resulting into an impactful design and increased conversion.
- Run Speed Tests: The visitors are generally quite impatient. To keep that attribute in consideration, it is best to run your webpage through the following tests and ensure that the loading speed is accurately timed because every second counts when a visitors is surfing the internet and looking for something. One second of delay results in reduction in conversion by 7 percent. Following are the names of the tools:
- Google PageSpeed Insights
- Negative Space: The negative space is the space between the content on your web page. This is the space between the texts, such as the headings and paragraphs as well as between the elements such as images, tabs, sidebar and content etc. The term negative here is not negative in real but in fact positive in nature. The negative space makes the website more readable and pleasant for the eyes. This eventually leads to conversions as the visitors view your web page and see everything in a well-aligned and well-organized manner which makes it comprehensible.
- F-Layout: As per research, the viewer’s eyes tend to fall directly at the content on a webpage in an F-pattern. Hence, it is suggested to display the web content that holds the highest significance in an F-layout so that there is maximum visibility and you can get hold of more conversions.
- Make the most of ‘the 8 seconds’: There is an 8 second rule which explains that the human attention span is 8 seconds. This is the reason it is suggested that you make the most of those 8 seconds by putting up headlines that are bold, concise and give out your message clearly! The images you use must speak clearly for themselves. In case of any tabs or pop up buttons, they must be attractive and grab the visitor’s attention in a glance.
These are a few ways along with many more out there, which could help you to increase the conversions and be considered as one of the popular and revenue generating websites. You do not necessarily have to have these implemented in your web design at the time of creation, but you can always make alterations later and turn your website into a productive design.